Thanks for reading the first installment of #whatgiveswednesday. In 26 posts over 365 days we will crack the mystery that is our youngest constituents.
Let’s start by painting a picture: what do our young constituents look like???
- They connect more with causes they engage with on social media
- They give back with time and talent; they want to be actively involved in your organization
- and they will get their social networks (online and offline) involved, too
- They’re willing to give, but they’re held back in their philanthropy due to not being established yet and/or having massive student debt
- When they do give:
- they like when organizations include in their communications stories about successful projects or the people they help (proof of meeting needs)
- they support fewer organizations with larger gifts (rather than spreading their funds thinly across a number of charities)
- they like monthly giving programs
- the majority of them are giving under $50 or between $51-$100
- They will have the capacity to make big gifts one day
What am I missing? What other qualities do our youngest constituents have? Let me know in the comments!
Written by Maeve Strathy
Maeve is the Founder of What Gives Philanthropy and has been working in educational fundraising for the past seven years. Click here to learn more about Maeve.